Thursday, September 15, 2011

My New Passion

I lovvvvvve cooking! I'm a little shocked in myself that I am shouting that.  I have to say I have never really been a big cook.  Not because I didn't know how but more because I was kinda afraid.  Normally when you cook you are cooking for other people.  I was so scared that my food would be gross and nobody would want to eat it and then I would be known as the girl that can't cook.  Then I was afraid that everybody would always think..."poor Matt, I bet they are always having to eat frozen food" haha! Can you tell I have put a lot of time into what everybody would think about my cooking haha!

 My new passion came when I had Carter.  I had my mind made up that Matt and I were in control of what goes into his precious little body and I wanted to teach him healthy eating from the beginning.  But wait, that meant I need to start eating healthy.  I didn't want us to be the family where I made Matt and I one thing for dinner then Carter something totally different because it was more healthy.  What would that teach him? That def wouldn't teach him healthy eating.  So I really needed to change this.  I had to get over my fear of my cooking being gross. It all started with me making Carters baby food.  That became my new found hobby! Once Carter got a little older that's when it really kicked in.  I started making food that we could all eat.  Trust me, I havn't bought frozen chicken nuggets in a really really long time.  He is becoming a little more picky but I refuse to give in and feed him junk food everyday.  I thought because I have 2 full time jobs (yes, mommy and at a real estate office) I would never find the time to make him wonderful food to eat.  I was going to prove myself wrong...and I did! :)  I want to share with you how easy making baby food is.  I know I have shared my info in the past so please check it out because I give some great websites to check out but I will show you how I made applesauce that even I can't get enough of.  This is how easy...
5Apples
Slice them and put on the stove with just enough water to barely cover them
3 strips of lemon peel
Sprinkle a little cinnamon or you can even use cinnamon sticks
Once you are done boiling (long enough to poke a fork through) remove lemon peel and cinnamon sticks
Put apples in a food processor and add a little water and then blend to your desire.
And...YOU'RE DONE
How easy is this!?!
How about some more goodies...
Spinach Lasagna Rolls
9 Lasagna Noodles
10oz of Spinach...Drain GOOD after cooking
15oz of fat free Ricotta Cheese
1/2 cup of grated Parmesan Cheese
1egg
1/2 tsp of Minced Garlic
1/2 tsp of Italian Seasoning
salt and pepper to taste
32 oz of Tomato Sauce or Spaghetti Sauce
Shredded Mozzarella Cheese

Preheat oven at 350
Combine spinach, ricotta, parmesan cheese, egg, garlic, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
Pour 1 cup (I did a little more) on the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish
Place wax paper or a cutting board on counter and lay out lasagna noodles. Make sure your noodles are dry
Place 1/3 cup of spinach mixture on the middle of the noodle (I did a little more :)
Roll up and place the seam side onto the baking dish.

Once you get your rolls done poor as much tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese as desired on top of your rolls.  Cover baking dish tightly with aluminum foil and bake for 40min. 
I know I don't have the best pictures.  Keep in mind I am NOT a photographer :)

Twice Baked Potato Casserole
5lbs of Potatoes
10 pieces of Bacon
8oz of Cream Cream
Just a little bit of Butter (sometimes I don't measure)
1cup of Sour Cream
.25 cup of Chives, minced
2 1/2 cups of Shredded Cheddar Cheese
Salt and Pepper to taste

Preheat oven at 350
Peel and cut potatoes and boil.  Cook until tender.  Normally for about 20min. 
While those are cooking cook your 10 slices of bacon.  After cooking bacon crumble into piece.
Using a mixture starting mashing your potatoes.  I wanted mine to be a little chunky because it is a casserole.
After mixing for a minute start adding cream cheese, butter, and sour cream and mix until you have your desired consistency. 
Then add chives, 2 cups of cheddar cheese, half the bacon, salt and pepper.
Stir until well combined
Cook in a buttered 3 quart baking dish.  Top with remaining cheddar cheese.
Bake until top is golden and potatoes are heated through. About 30 minutes. 
After cooking add the rest of your bacon.
This is it before it went in the oven.  I'm a bad blogger...I didn't get a picture before we all dug into it!

I hope you enjoy these delicious treats, I know I did and so did my guys!  I got all the wonderful recipes from pinterest.  Let me know how yours turned out. Happy Cooking! 

No comments:

Post a Comment